Weather Forecasts for your Garmin InReach
Mar 31, 2023: Darksky.net (formerly Forecast.io) is no longer supported. Forecasts for locations outside the US are now provided by VisualCrossing.com. To use VisualCrossing for US locations, add “vc” to your forecast request.
How it works
- Send a message with a few key words from your InReach to email@example.com.
- For an immediate forecast for your current GPS location, send the message “wx now” (without quotation marks). US forecasts are provided by the National Weather Service. Elsewhere they're provided by VisualCrossing.com.
- If you're using Garmin’s mobile Earthmate app to send InReach messages, make sure that your messages include your location. See the Details pages.
- For a detailed NWS 6-hourly forecast, send the message “wx now nws6”. These forecasts includes wind speed and direction, and wave heights for US coastal waters. They’re only available for US locations.
- You can also choose a different forecast location than your current GPS location.
- You have to send your request from an InReach. It won’t work if you try to use a mobile phone or regular email.
- There’s no charge for this service, but InReach messaging rates still apply.
It costs very little to keep this service going, but there are a few minor expenses. Any donations are much appreciated!
- This is an experimental, non-commercial service. Use at your own risk!
- This isn’t affiliated with Garmin, the US National Weather Service or VisualCrossing.com