Weather Forecasts for your Garmin InReach
Sep 17, 2018: Forecasts from mountain-forecast.com aren’t currently working. They’ve made some changes to their site and I need to make some changes to my code. In the meantime a workaround is to look up the peak’s coordinates and use darksky.net (forecast.io) instead.
How it works
- Send a message with a few key words from your InReach to email@example.com.
- For an immediate forecast for your current GPS location, send the message “wx now” (without quotation marks). US forecasts are provided by the National Weather Service. Elsewhere they're provided by Darksky.net (formerly Forecast.io).
- Send the message “wx now nws6” for a detailed NWS 6-hourly forecast. These forecasts includes wind speed and direction, and wave heights for US coastal waters. They’re only available for US locations.
- You can choose a different forecast location than your current GPS location, and you can get a recurring daily forecast at a set time.
- You can also get forecasts for specific mountains from mountain-forecast.com. They provide forecasts for over 11,000 major peaks world-wide, at up to 5 different elevations.
- You have to send your request from an InReach. It won’t work if you try to use a mobile phone or regular email.
- There’s no charge for this service, but InReach messaging rates still apply.
It costs very little to keep this service going, but there are a few minor expenses. Any donations are much appreciated!
- This is an experimental, non-commercial service. Use at your own risk!
- This isn’t affiliated with DeLorme, Garmin, the US National Weather Service, Forecast.io or mountain-forecast.com