Weather Forecasts for your Garmin InReach
June 20, 2017: Forecasts weren’t getting through for a couple of days, but the problem has now been fixed. Garmin made some formatting changes to outgoing InReach email messages that confused my server.
How it works
- Send a message with a few key words from your InReach to email@example.com.
- For an immediate forecast for your current GPS location, send the message “wx now” (without quotation marks). US forecasts are provided by the National Weather Service. Elsewhere they're provided by Forecast.io.
- Send the message “wx now nws6” for a detailed NWS 6-hourly forecast. These forecasts includes wind speed and direction, and wave heights for US coastal waters. They’re only available for US locations.
- You can choose a different forecast location than your current GPS location, and you can get a recurring daily forecast at a set time.
- You can also get forecasts for specific mountains from mountain-forecast.com. They provide forecasts for over 11,000 major peaks world-wide, at up to 5 different elevations.
- You have to send your request from an InReach. It won’t work if you try to use a mobile phone or regular email.
- There’s no charge for this service, but InReach messaging rates still apply.
It costs very little to keep this service going, but there are a few minor expenses. Any donations are much appreciated!
- This is an experimental, non-commercial service. Use at your own risk!
- This isn’t affiliated with DeLorme, Garmin, the US National Weather Service, Forecast.io or mountain-forecast.com